[TriLUG] Samba printers - give the drivers to Windows XP clients

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 20:20:46 EST 2006

(yup, still working on this as part of my total solution for samba PDF
printer, got that part working w/ usernames as I wanted, will still
post that info when I get through this)

Scenario:  In a Windows XP client, when you attach to a Windows Server
2003 shared printer, the printer driver required for the client is
automatically loaded on the client when you choose that shared
printer, the user does not have to pick the correct printer driver.
Everywhere I read claims Samba can deliver the same thing to Windows
clients with its shared printers.

What have I tried so far:  (work has me a bit scattered brained, so
hopefully as I write this I'll recall everything I tried)

I setup [printer$] hidden share which included the W32X86 path inside
it and this contained the driver files for my printer driver.  I want
to use the "HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS" driver (no particular reason
except it is a familiar and readily available PS driver in Windows
XP... meaning, it comes with the OS).  I need a PS driver on the
client so the ps2pdf ghostscript function works in the samba print to
PDF.  :)

Accessing that hidden share at \\hostname\printers$ works fine from my
XP client.  In the [pdfprinter] actual shared printer, we already know
I use a print command to send that to the ps2pdf.  What I read tells
me a LOT about pre Samba 2.2 which allowed you to use 'printer driver
= blah' and 'printer driver location = fark' and discussions about a
printers.def file etc.  I tried a LOT of combinations here but never
got any one of them to work, and when I start the SMB service, it
claims printer driver and printer driver location are unknown (as
expected in Samba 3.10.x on CentOS 4.2 since some docs say it is
depricated).  However, everything I kept reading said I could use
those settings in the specific printer shares anyway.

I'm at a loss.  I know some folks out there must have done this.  All
of us want to use Linux and samba for sharing printers instead of
Windows print servers right? ;)  When a user installs a network shared
printer, they shouldn't have to choose the driver, the driver should
install itself for them.  What's the secret that I'm missing!  :)

thanks,
David McD