[TriLUG] Sun Sparc Ultra1

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 10:16:23 EST 2006

On 3/27/06, Elliott Walsh, O.D. <skye at swiftpassage.com> wrote:

> About a year ago someone gave away a van-load of Sparc Ultra1 server
> boxes,
> and I got one.  Does anybody remember the generic root password supplied
> with these systems? Thanks!

Elliot, you can boot them into single user mode and change the password to
something that you want.

Or better yet, reload them with the OS of your choice.  Have a set of Linux,
BSD, or Solaris discs around that are sparc compatible and during the bootup
process hit STOP-A key combination on your keyboard.  You'll get an "ok"
prompt.  Pop in the first CD and issue the command "boot cdrom".  There are
a number of different Linux & BSD distributions that work well on Ultra 1's
(I have a few of these myself).  Solaris 10 is out of the question unless
you've really loaded up on RAM.