[TriLUG] [Fwd: RE: [Steering] Amazon.com Interviewing in RTP]

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Mar 28 14:04:17 EST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Steering] Amazon.com Interviewing in RTP
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:02:38 -0800
From: Kim, Yoonie <yoonie at amazon.com>
To: Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net>, <steering at trilug.org>

Amazon.com is sending hiring managers from our Search, Automated
Advertising, and Landing Page Optimization Teams to interview candidates
in Raleigh for Seattle-based opportunities.

Did you know that Amazon.com has hundreds of software engineers working
on some of the most interesting technical challenges on the planet?
Amazon.com, headquartered in beautiful Seattle, is looking for
exceptional software engineers to join its growing technology
organization. Our engineering team works on tough technical problems
that engage and stretch their brains. As an engineer here, you might
build cutting edge product recommendation algorithms, scale and optimize
our world class supply chain systems, or architect and build an
end-to-end e-commerce platform that companies like Target use to run
their online businesses. You'll work with smart, experienced teammates
on a small cross-functional team. You'll join a scientific culture
focused on achieving aggressive goals. And, you'll work on creating a
world-class customer experience for the millions of people who use
Amazon.com.

Within our Search and Automated Advertising Teams, our brand-new Landing
Page Optimization team seeks a few extraordinarily talented engineers to
brainstorm, implement and maintain innovative features for Amazon's US
and international web sites. This team, still in its formative stages,
finds ways to optimize the "landing page," the first page served in any
customer visit--which could be almost any page on the site, from a
product detail page to a category page to a page of catalog search
results. Projects will range from new customer-facing website features
to back-end data mining systems. Developers on the team will have
complete ownership of their projects, from initial conception through
prototyping, design, implementation, and operations, and the impact of
each project will be measured through a controlled statistical
experiment--engineers will be able to quantify with confidence the
effect of their work. Team members will have access to Amazon's
massive data store of product and customer information and will seek
innovative ways to use it to enhance the customer experience. Since the
team is new, employees joining now will have the chance to help define
the team itself: its mission, its scope, its problem space, and the
kinds of solutions it implements. Like all of Amazon, the team
environment is (a) entrepreneurial: new ideas are encouraged and valued;
(b) data-driven: facts and figures win out over unsupported opinion
every time; and (c) fast-paced: product cycles are short, development is
done incrementally, and new features launch every month or less. And on
top of that, it's just a lot of fun.

Qualifications:
Candidates must be extremely intelligent and competent programmers with
at least a BS in computer science (or equivalent experience). Strong
analytical and logical ability and excellent communication skills are
also required. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the customer
experience and high judgment about both product features and project
schedules. No experience with any particular language or other
technology is necessary, but we would expect any strong candidate to be
proficient in at least one of C, C++, Java, or Perl. Expertise in
statistics or distributed systems is a plus.

If you're interested in interviewing with the Search, Automated
Advertising, or Landing Page Optimization Teams while we're in Raleigh,
please submit your resume, and a cover letter to yoonie at amazon.com

Amazon.com
Word hard. Have fun. Make history.

Amazon.com, a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World
Wide Web in July 1995 and is now the world's leading ecommerce
technology company. Amazon.com seeks exceptionally well-qualified
candidates and offers competitive compensation and benefits.