[TriLUG] mhonarc

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Wed Apr 5 16:03:42 EDT 2006

matt1027 wrote:
> Mandriva has been bogging down lately to the point of being unusable.
> top shows a program called mhonarc that is using 70% of memory.
> Google search shows it is some kind of program that generates html
> archives from various mail formats, which I have no idea where it came
> from or how it got going.  When I do a kill 4465 (the pid) it just
> keeps going.
You could try kill -s KILL 4465 (sometimes the plain old kill command
doesn't really kill things...)  Anybody have any elaborations on why
this works by the way?  I've been using it for a while just because it
works, but don't really understand the differences between kill and kill
-s KILL.  Thanks!