[TriLUG] Linux and EFI

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:26:35 EDT 2006

http://theweeklyrant.com/article/8/news-apple-bootcamp-boots-linux

this story showed up in another mailing list I subscribe to this morning.

Warren

On 4/7/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:

> I note that Apple just announced that new versions of OS/X will
> include something called "boot camp" which will allow booting Windows
> on intel-macs which use the new Intel "Extensible Firmware Interface"
> instead of BIOS.
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
>
> This got me to wondering about booting Linux on these machines, and
> the state of EFI support for Linux.  Grub is pretty much tied to the
> BIOS model, and I don't have any direct experience with lilo.
>
> EFI support seems to be a feature of Grub 2 which appears to be in an
> early stage of development, and there also seems to be an elilo, but
> the project web page seems to be broken.
>
> Any insights?
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
> http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2