[TriLUG] Options for replacing Panasonic PBX with Asterisk

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 10 11:11:04 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron S. Joyner" <aaron at joyner.ws>
Date: Saturday, April 8, 2006 10:46 am
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Options for replacing Panasonic PBX with Asterisk
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org>

> Shane O'Donnell wrote:
>
> >>Grandstream phones are crap. Trust me. Avoid them unless you enjoy
> >>collecting broken plastic. Buy Polycoms or Ciscos. You won't be
> >>disappointed.
> >>

> >Yup.  Buy Cisco.
> >
> >Baby needs a new pair o' shoes...
> >
> >Shane O.
> >========
> >Shane O'Donnell
> >shaneodonnell at gmail.com
> >====================
> >

> I'm jumping back on this thread a little late (hard to keep up with
> thevolume of TriLUG mail these days), but I'll admit I was playing
> the cost
> angle with the Grandstream hardware.  I wouldn't say that they're
> entirely crap, they're probably good enough for an occasionally-used
> bathroom phone, but in general they're not up to the standard of daily
> use.  The audio quality on them, especially the speakerphone, is
> sort of
> sub-par.  To put things in perspective, I have three Cisco 7960s which
> are my primary extensions, and a Cisco 7920 for wandering around.  All
> work wondermusly, and I would highly recommend them.  You can often
> findgood deals on Ebay, with some careful shopping.  An
> understanding of the
> Cisco SmartNet program also goes a long way.
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

The A-man knows his stuff. Those Cisco phones are built tough and really
last. We've seen some beaten and abused Cisco's come through here... but
they still work just fine.

The Polycom's seem to be pretty good too - though they don't have the
long pedigree that the Cisco's have. The Polycom's give you a bit more
value (cheaper with more features). Currently those are the only two
brands I would recommend. The *good* cheaper brands tend to burn out
early. The bad ones just get flaky.

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel (VoIP for business afraid to do Asterisk alone)