[TriLUG] qmail and RHEL 4 - all mail routed to same email...

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:17:47 EDT 2006

On 4/10/06, Russell Jones <russ at virante.com> wrote:

> This box just came with qmail installed on it, thought it might be worth
> the time to learn something new :) So, sendmail should be exponentially
> easier to accomplish this on?

Let me get this right... someone built you a RHEL4 box, went to the trouble
of ripping out Sendmail, and then installing Qmail?  Then they dumped it on
your lap and ran away?

First order of business is to LART the guy that did that to you.  It leaves
me wondering what else they did to that box to change it from a fairly
standard configuration.  I might be tempted to nuke & pave it (format &
reinstall the OS).  But that's me.

Postfix is an optional MTA with RHEL4, is very well understood, very well
kept up to date, and extremely easy to configure.  Sendmail is the default
MTA but RHEL4 comes with a handy tool to switch to Postfix once the RPM is
installed (system-switch-mail is the name of the package you need and the
command to run).

Sendmail has a steeper learning curve but is the default MTA with RHEL (I
hope they fix that for RHEL5).  Still, it has a lot going for it over qmail
in that it came with the distribution, is already preconfigured to a
reasonably sane state, is kept up to date (up2date?) by the distribution
vendor, and has a large pool of users who can help figure something out once
the online doc has failed to come up with a solution. Postfix has all of
these things going for it, plus it is a lot easier to set up and learn.