[TriLUG] Linux on MacIntel: What's the best way?

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Tue Apr 11 04:51:21 EDT 2006

Here are some different things to consider:

The linux kernel patches being worked on @ mactel-linux.org are young
but working ok it seems.

Going the Apple route...
Instead of using a kernel patch that is under development for EFI
compatibility you are using an Apple Developed firmware update.
They usually do it right when it comes to those. Personally I might
feel a little better about an Apple built EFI -> BIOS "interpreter"
than I do about kernel patches from the fringe.

Also... bootcamp burns a CD of windows drivers for the hardware in
your particular mac. This might come in handy if you have trouble
with the Airport Extreme wireless in linux.
You very well might be able to use the AirPort driver for XP (that
Apple is providing) through ndiswrapper.
Airport Extreme has been the bane of many linux-on-mac geeks for a
while now but these days there are other solutions too:
http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/
(For a bit of discussion behind it: http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/
Finally,_a_linux_driver_for_the_Airport_Extreme_)

Also the mactel-linux solutions require replacing the bootloader with
elilo 3.0a (EFI compatible lilo)... yes... alpha.
Also partitioning with a utility like Parted which if not done just
right can keep OS X from booting.
In any case you should ensure the cleanliness of your OS X partition
before attempting to resize with bootcamp or parted.
It is very vulnerable and bootcamp has been documented to corrupt
things when resizing the HFS+ OS X partition.

Personally I would stick with the firmware update and Apples
bootloader and play with things like that first.
You might see quicker success.

Not any great insights here but thats how I would treat the option
for the time being, especially if you have a flavor of choice that
you want to run.

John Wheeler
jwheeler at etherealfringe.com