[TriLUG] surveillance/security camera

James Tuttle jim_tuttle at ncsu.edu
Tue Apr 11 09:21:57 EDT 2006

> Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 02:39:01 +0800
> From: "Thomas Le" <thomas_le at linuxmail.org>
> Subject: [TriLUG] surveillance/security camera
> To: trilug at trilug.org
>
> I'd like to install security cameras around my house and I've heard that people have done it using open source tools.  I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience about a (low cost) security camera project using Linux and open source applications.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

It sounds like you're looking for a heavy-duty solution and I have
nothing to say about that.  However, I've got a Logitech Quickcam
Express plugged into my Ubuntu machine running Motion, a motion
activated capture application.  It works very well and captures in both
jpeg and mpeg.  It's good for pointing out the window at your car,
inside at kitchen cabinets to determine which cat is eating everything
not in a metal container, or at the shower curtain when your
sister-in-law, uh, just kidding about that last part.

It certainly isn't an 'enterprise class' solution, but it's about free.
  Motion is available at
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome or, on Ubuntu,
apt-get motion.

Jim