[TriLUG] OT: Router vs Firewall, Was: OT: strange happenings - self booting server?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Apr 14 10:48:55 EDT 2006

Okay, since there's still a lot I have to learn, I'll ask the question:

What do you gain from having a firewall behind a NAT router with no port
forwards?  Speaking only in terms of inbound protection, of course.
Obviously a firewall can filter traffic in both directions.  Can one not
depend on a forwardless NAT router to simply drop all incoming
connection attempts?  Are there packets, or methods of connecting, that
can somehow sneak through such a NAT setup and reach machines on the inside?

In all the networks I administer, firewall + router is the standard
operating procedure, so I'm just interested in more of the reasons why
it's a good idea (that is, I don't need any convincing to start doing it).

As always, both lengthy explanations and links to reading material are
appreciated equally. :-)

Cheers,
~B

P.S. A linux box with iptables configured on the "reject everything but
_____" principle counts as "good," right? :-)