[TriLUG] [OT] looking for book on object oriented design

Josh Vickery vickeryj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 15:18:10 EDT 2006

The gang of four book "Design Patterns" is a good reference, but I
found it difficult to dive into.  Instead I bought a book called
"Design Patterns Explained" which I thoroughly enjoyed and found to be
an excellent introduction to design patterns.  There is a second
edition out now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321247140/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_1_txt/102-5644965-0397700?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I have "Object Oriented Design Heuristics" sitting on my bookshelf,
left over from my CS program but I have never gone back to it.  I do
remember hating it when I read it, but the book was for a class that I
did not really enjoy.

Oddly enough, one of the most helpful books I've read was "Code
Complete" which is a solidly procedural book with only a smattering of
OO thrown in.  Now, however, it too has a second edition which claims
to focus on OO.  While not a high level design book, I found it to be
quite helpful in thinking about constructing good OO code.  In fact I
believe that some of the best OO techniques come straight from lessons
learned in the procedural world.

In the same vein as "Code Complete" is "The Pragmatic Programmer"
which is also not an OO book per se, but does offer a way to think
about programming which I think is very much in line with Object
Orientation.