[TriLUG] Awstats for Dummies?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 21:19:55 EDT 2006

On 4/16/06, matt1027 <box1027 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> At 10:18 PM 4/15/2006, you wrote:
> >  My next step is to find out about installing it
> >| in my shared hosting account at my ISP.  Any suggestions of a good guide?
> >|
> >| Thanks again,
> >| Matt
> >
> >Depends on what sort of access you have there.  If you don't have the
> >apache logs, as far as I know, you won't be able to do much awstat-ing
> >(someone correct me if I'm wrong about that..)
>
> Back when I contacted the ISP and told them I wanted to use Awstats,
> instead of the web stat program that was already available, and asked
> where the log files were, one of the techs gladly told me so I'm
> thinking that it will be fine with them.
>
> Matt

One potentially tricky aspect of using awstats on a machine that you
don't 'own' is that you need to arrange to run it to get updates.

As Lisa pointed out you usually put in a cron job to run it daily or
more often. So you need to have your web host let you run cron jobs or
find an alternative.

However, that in itself might not be enough, since you can miss data
due to log rotation.  You really want to configure the log rotation on
the server to run awstats BEFORE it rotates the web server log.

I've seen lots of folks posting to the awstats support group who are
confused about this.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site