[TriLUG] Open Source Propaganda

Mike Parkhurst Mike.Parkhurst at samsys.com
Wed Apr 19 14:15:50 EDT 2006

I get asked the same question your CEO asked.  I usually answer that the
reasons vary, but here are a few (that you can relate to):

1.  It's a form of advertising/there is an alternate source of revenue.
Some people/companies hope that their code will become popular and that they
can then sell a related product, sell a book or other form of support, or
get a (better) job.

2.  The project has many developers each contributing only a small amount,
less than they could ever sell.  In that case they may be making friends,
boosting their ego, etc.  It's kind of like making a small donation to
charity, each donation does very little, but the sum of a lot of donations
can be significant.