[TriLUG] Xen applications

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Apr 20 01:05:04 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 03:37:10PM -0400, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I'm not clear on what you want to do with the first machine.  Assuming you're
> using it to test-drive a number of distros, no, you probably don't have much
> to gain from using Xen.

It is a development-oriented machine, where certain projects require
different environments.  In general, I reboot that box much more often
than any Linux box that I have ever had.  I was wondering whether that
machine might possibly be able to run all of those operating systems
simultaneously.  However, according to my reading so far, I would need
to recompile each of them for Xen use.

> The second machine could definitely use Xen.  One of the great advantages is
> the ability to separate access for security purposes.  For example, it makes
> a lot of sense to run your web server on its own xen domain, especially if
> you plan to have users with their own web space.
>
> Another advantage of using Xen is the flexibility it allows.  If you had a
> hardware malfunction on your server for example, it would be a cinch to fire
> up your xen domains on any other xen-capable box, thus keeping your services
> running.
>
> Perhaps a more specific description of your needs would help.

More specifically, I was looking at server consolidation -- reducing
four machines to one but keeping functionality and access seperate.

> Michael

Brian