[TriLUG] Apache2 Strange Behavior

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Fri Apr 21 08:31:46 EDT 2006

I have a LAMP server running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (Apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.1.18 and PHP 5.1.2). This machine will eventually serv up several name based virtual hosts. I have this currently configured for a default site and three additional sites for testing.

Here is what's happening. If I browse to the default site (http://defaultsite) I get an "Access Forbidden!" error 403. I can however access the site by (http://defaultsite/index.html) or any other html or php file in the document root dir. I am also able to access the virtual sites without explicitly using index.html.

In the error_log file it only shows - [error] [client X.X.X.X] Directory index forbidden by rule: /srv/www/defaultsite/. I did a search for this and someone suggested turning on indexing by setting "Options Indexes". But this only allows me to view the files in the directory which is what I don't want and does not automatically serv up index.html. I made sure that httpd.conf contained the DirectoryIndex index.html setting and have gone through the config files multiple times, but I'm just not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody have any ideas what I'm missing here? I'm pulling my hair out on this one (it is Friday, not Monday correct?)

Thanks,
Brian