[TriLUG] Writing to NTFS in Linux?

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Sun Apr 30 18:06:07 EDT 2006

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I looked into this a couple of months ago and decided that writing a
> file of exactly the same number of bytes as the original was pretty
> limiting. Presumably I'd have to do a size check each time to make
> sure I wasn't going to hose the NTFS filesystem.
>
> Joe
You won't hose the filesystem, the file simply won't be resized.
Typically, when you open a file for writing, it is truncated - on such
an NTFS system that will not be the case, any data not overwritten will
remain intact. I suppose if you write too much you'll get a no space on
device error or the like, this seems to be a Try It And See case.

--
Michael Tharp

http://www.ircd-charybdis.org/
http://www.atheme.org/