[TriLUG] My part in the elections next week

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 4 23:23:59 EDT 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 09:35 pm, Kevin Otte wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:20:40PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > That said, then, I'll go ahead and suggest two more names
> > for the election (with no idea if they'll consent to being nominated
> > or not, so YMMV).
>
> I know for a fact that at least one of your nominees is in digest mode, so
> he will not recieve your message (and thus be unable to accept) before the
> deadline.  This is why we ask that the nominees be approached prior to
> posting on the list.
>
> Also, let me beat you to your first argument (as made on IRC this
> afternoon): while there is nothing in the bylaws arguing against the floor
> nomination of a candidate at election time, and there is precedent of such
> an occurrance, this really makes no sense.  With a month's worth of notice,
> this is more than enough time to properly inquire the nominee's interest.

If I read all the messages correctly, the two names were suggested to fill in
for somebody who had to bow out. Under those circumstances, the late
nomination was entirely understandable, IMHO.

The only alternative I can see is to leave the post vacant and have the other
officers appoint someone.

Of course, I'm not a member and I live in Florida and have only been to North
Carolina twice, so....

SteveT