[TriLUG] smbfs/cifs group-write problems in KDE apps

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Fri May 5 14:43:37 EDT 2006

Brian Henning wrote:
> Here's a pastebin link to the group of messages appended to the log for
> my client when I click the Save button in Kate.
>
> http://pastebin.com/700175

Hmmm... I'm not able to gleen much from those logs.  Line 60 stands out
for the 0775 permissions, and lines 120-122 stand out for the extended
attributes (setattrE) setting.

Are you using extended attributes/acls?  Sorry I can't be of more help.
Maybe someone else on list understands these logs better...

> I can change a file directly on the server (the way I got around the saving
> problem yesterday was to forward an X session to my desktop and use Kate
> directly on the server)

So Kate behaves properly when dealing with the file on a native
filesystem (ext3)?  But improperly when the same file is accessed over
smbfs?  Sounds like Samba/smbfs is the culprit, not KDE.

> , and when I upload the "local" (as seen across
> samba from my desktop) file to the webspace using gftp, what shows up on
> the web does NOT reflect the changes I've just made, until I umount and
> remount the samba share and re-FTP it (and yes, I'm selecting
> 'overwrite' in gftp).

Could the client linux box be doing write buffering?  Do you mount the
smbfs share with '-o sync'?  The defaults, according to 'man mount', are
to mount asynchronously.

Dane