[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sun May 7 12:05:47 EDT 2006

Sorry to be late coming into this thread -- I was out of town and out of
contact with the list ( dial-up at best ).

Tom,

What I am seeing is a very common issue with your type of installation
-- you need to modify your lvm.conf file to "hide" the two components of
the md0 "drive" from vgscan.

In that file, you will find "filter" clauses, one of which looks like:

filter = [ "r|/dev/cdrom|" ]

If you add another that looks something like: ( I don't remember your
two drive specifications just at the moment )

filter = [ "r|/dev/sda3|", "r|/dev/sdb7|" ]

That should help your vgscan issues.  As far as the difference between
/dev/VG/LV and /dev/mapper/VG-LV, as David says this is a version
difference, and usually doesn't matter because the kernel seems to be
able to accept both forms.  Check your /dev/ directory after vgscan runs
successfully and see which form exists, and change your fstab to match.

Incidentally, I know this is a "teach your grandmother to suck eggs",
but LVM _is_ starting at boot, correct?

Brian