[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue May 9 08:44:31 EDT 2006

On Sunday 07 May 2006 12:05 pm, Brian McCullough wrote:
> Sorry to be late coming into this thread -- I was out of town and out of
> contact with the list ( dial-up at best ).

No problem.  I was out of town last weekend, and I didn't have a chance to try
to fix the problem yet.  :-)

> What I am seeing is a very common issue with your type of installation
> -- you need to modify your lvm.conf file to "hide" the two components of
> the md0 "drive" from vgscan.

Cool.  I changed the filter to

filter = [ "r|/dev/cdrom|", "r|/dev/hde1|", "r|/dev/hdeg|" ]

Now, I no longer have the "Found duplicate PV
7LOs90S2Ff8W7Tq8ZGRsT41lphbExsLh: using /dev/hdg1
not /dev/hde1" error message.  I think that my best bet now might be to
attempt rebuilding the RAID device /dev/hde1.

# pvscan
  No matching physical volumes found
# lvscan
  No volume groups found
 lvmdiskscan -v
  /dev/md0  [      111.79 GB]
  /dev/hda1 [      101.94 MB]
  /dev/hdc1 [        5.59 GB]
  /dev/hda2 [        7.71 GB]
  /dev/hdc2 [        2.28 GB]
  /dev/hda5 [       37.26 GB]
  /dev/hda6 [       37.26 GB]
  0 disks
  7 partitions
  0 LVM physical volume whole disks
  0 LVM physical volumes

> That should help your vgscan issues.  As far as the difference between
> /dev/VG/LV and /dev/mapper/VG-LV, as David says this is a version
> difference, and usually doesn't matter because the kernel seems to be
> able to accept both forms.  Check your /dev/ directory after vgscan runs
> successfully and see which form exists, and change your fstab to match.

Thanks.  Now I've just got to get past that "scans successfully" step.  :-)

> but LVM _is_ starting at boot, correct?

Probably.  When investigating, I ran
/etc/init.d/lvm restart
I'm now getting

# /etc/init.d/lvm restart
Shutting down LVM Volume Groups...
  No volume groups found
Setting up LVM Volume Groups...
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  No volume groups found
  No volume groups found
  No volume groups found

---Tom