gpg howtos before the meeting (Was: [TriLUG] Re: [Trilug-announce] SSL Security with CACert.org: May Meeting)

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed May 10 19:07:22 EDT 2006

While I'm sure there will be people at the meeting willing to help
someone who is new to gpg get started at the meeting, that is not
officially on the agenda. Also note that that would only work if you
brought a laptop with you, since of course you would never want to put
your private key somewhere not completely under your control.

I thought I would throw in some quick advice to get people new to gpg
started before the meeting:

(0) Generate a key with 'gpg --gen-key' and go with the defaults at
each prompt for now (you can revoke this key later)
(1) 'gpg-key2ps theEmailYouJustUsed at your.domain > someFile.ps' (NOTE
that ubuntu users will have to install the 'signing-party' package to
have the 'gpg-key2ps' tool--other distros may have a different
package)
(2) print out someFile.ps and bring it with you to the meeting.

If you're running Ubuntu, here's a great howto that's more
comprehensive from the Ubuntu wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto?action=show&redirect=GPGKey

If you want the FULL story, look no further than

http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html

HTH,
CMP