[TriLUG] Assurance tonight

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat May 13 00:37:32 EDT 2006

from the CAcert website:

-------

CAcert Web of Trust Rules

It is essential that CAcert Assurers understand and follow the rules
below to ensure that applicants for assurance are suitably identified,
which, in turn, maintains trust in the system.

Contact

* You must meet the applicant in person;
* You must sight at least one form of government issued photo
identification. It's preferable if 2 forms of Government issued photo
ID are presented, as less points may be issued if there is any doubt
on the person by the person issuing points;
* Compare and verify that the copy of the identification sighted is a
true and correct copy;
* Complete the assurance form if the applicant has not already done
so. Ensure that all information matches.

-------

For a _second_ photo ID, one might have an employee ID for a state
agency or a student ID for a state university. I would only accept
(ie. allocate the full number of points I'm allowed to give) one of
those if I had a reasonable sense of that ID's validity. For example,
our sponsor ECU ( http://www.ecu.edu/ ) is a state university, but I
have no clue what their IDs look like. I do know what a UNC OneCard
looks like (I have one).

For non-photo ID, there's Mr. Barlow's suggestion of a birth
certificate, but one could also accept a Social Security card, a
Selective Service registration card, or perhaps a voter registration
card. But again, these are not photo IDs, so the full number of points
should not be issued based on these IDs.

The rules aren't more detailed about what forms of ID are acceptable
because not only do IDs vary from one location to another, but the
important factor is the assurers ability to verify that the ID is
valid.

Did I miss anything Tanner?

-CMP