[TriLUG] Newly generated gpg keys

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon May 15 15:30:43 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 03:22:31PM -0400, Alan Porter wrote:

> Let's back up one step... for the sake of the gpg-challenged
> (such as myself).

(snip)

> I have no idea how to do #2.  I assume that I have to download
> someone else's public key from one of these random keyservers.
> Then I run some gpg magic, and then I send it back to some
> keyserver.  Is that right?

Right.  That GPG magic is:

$ gpg --fingerprint keyID

(compare what it prints to what you were handed.  If it matches...)

gpg --sign-key keyID

That's it!

> And why do I keep seeing mention of a web site called "biglumber".
> Somehow, that name does not really give me a warm and secure
> feeling.  Who are these biglumberjacks anyway?

They are a website that helps coordinate keysignings.  They exist primarily
for places that aren't as well connected as ourselves and people who need a
little help finding other PGP inclined folk.  TriLUG put a keyring up there
awhile back, the exact reasons I've gone a little fuzzy on.  Tanner can
provide some of the insight into that.

Listing on biglumber is not required.