[TriLUG] Newly generated gpg keys

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon May 15 16:13:48 EDT 2006

AP> I have no idea how to do #2.  I assume that I have to download
AP> someone else's public key from one of these random keyservers.
AP> Then I run some gpg magic, and then I send it back to some
AP> keyserver.  Is that right?

KO> Right.  That GPG magic is:
KO>
KO> $ gpg --fingerprint keyID

I am still missing something.  Where exactly does "gpg" on dargo
go to find Joseph Tate's key?

   [porter at dargo porter]$ gpg --fingerprint B5B05C42
   gpg: error reading key: public key not found

Or, specifying a well-known keyserver...

   [porter at dargo porter]$ gpg --fingerprint --keyserver \
                          subkeys.pgp.net B5B05C42
   gpg: error reading key: public key not found

I always get the feeling that this is one of those tools that
is EASY for people who have been using it for a while, and HARD
for people who are just trying it out.

Alan