[TriLUG] installing and booting from fibre

Matt Dinsmore matt at centrix.net
Wed May 17 03:22:13 EDT 2006

We are doing RHEL4 over SAN here. We have seen the "Phatom Drives" as
well. But we only see 1... so we allocate 1 LUN of 72GB, then boot into
RHEL4, and we get both sda and sdb. The sdb drive is 19MB and every time
we try to touch it, we get errors. Our SAN solution is a DS4500. As long
as we don't touch sdb everything is fine, except for the usual boot
probe throwing a couple errors.

Have you tried using the qlogic drivers? or are you just using drivers
provided with RHEL4? We're using emulex hardware, so we installed their
drivers and tools and it seems to be ok as long as we leave sdb alone.
With the emulex drivers, it automagically does multipathing, we tested
this the other day, so I know RHEL4 is capable of it.

Matt Dinsmore
matt at centrix.net