[TriLUG] TriLug classes

stan briggs stan at StanBriggs.com
Sun May 21 18:47:14 EDT 2006

all,

another option might be to start with a "basic everything server" (bes)
with file-based authentication, linux and windows clients and users, and
some file/printer sharing. i've never gotten this completely working to
my satisfaction and would love to hear some other perspectives. i really
believe that this simple example is the core of small business services.

after that i think that it would be interesting to increase the
complexity to ldap on top of pam, etc, the "mostly everything server"
(mes?).

my $.02,
stan

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Jason Tower
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 1:17 PM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] TriLug classes

i've set this up for several clients.  the base is to use samba and ldap

with the smbldap-tools to tie them together.  the tools are used to
populate and maintain the user definitions - instead of 'useradd' you
run 'smbldap-useradd', instead of 'passwd' you run 'smbldap-passwd' and
so on.  once the ldap db is populated, you can set up samba to lookup
everything in ldap, do roaming profiles, all that crap.  you can also
configure pam to use ldap so *nix machines can auth against it.
combined with mounting /home via nfs, it works very well when dealing
with multiple servers.  and of course you can set up other services like

postfix, courier, apache, etc to use ldap auth (or pam).  at one client
i even have an openvpn server authenticating against pam, which in turn
points to ldap.

the thing is, it's not trivial to set up, and even a two hour class
would barely scratch the surface.  but if you're willing invest the time

to learn the ins and outs of the various pieces it works extremely well.

jason