[TriLUG] I need a really fast Internet connection at the Outer Banks.

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed May 24 10:41:56 EDT 2006

Greg Brown wrote:

> Does anyone have a connection with something around a 100 meg burst rate?
> If so, and if you don't mind me asking, what does a connection like that
> even cost?  How on Earth did you order it in the first place?
>
> I'm getting beyond my "just call up cable company x and get another cable
> modem" out there so it's time to start planning and thinking big
> (bandwidth).

> Greg

You're going to need to contract with a commercial bandwidth provider,
someone like TWTC (Time Warner TeleComm) or BellSouth.  BellSouth Metro
Ethernet probably isn't an option, but it's a reasonably inexpensive way
to go when you're talking 100Mb/s range.  These pipes are not cheap,
expect costs to be, frankly, out of your budget.  Then again, it never
hurts to ask.  Ask about provisioning a DS3 (45Mb/s) or OC3 (155Mb/s),
that'll get you to the right department and probably speaking with
people who will, unfortunately, talk a language filled with words you
won't understand at first (google is your friend).  Don't be too
surprised by costs in the 5-digit range, both as an installation and
monthly charge.  Longer term commitments on the line will get you lower
costs on the installation and the monthly costs.  If you can't figure
out who to talk to, shoot me an email off-list and I'll get you some
contacts for TWTC and BellSouth.  Don't neglect to look for other cable
of phone providers in your area, but I wouldn't expect too much on the
outer banks (not a lot of fiber there, I suspect).

Aaron S. Joyner