[TriLUG] A good Linux based backup program...

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed May 24 12:02:27 EDT 2006

Take a look at "rsback", a script that wraps around rsync.
It's a pretty simple script that can PUSH or PULL, depending
on which you need.

At $WORK, I use "backuppc".  This is a slick backup (PULL)
package that sits on a server and sucks files off of several
client PC's, some Linux and some Windows.  It has a very
slick web-based interface, and it is smart enough to try
several times a day to reach the client PC's, making it
great for backing up laptops.

At $HOME, I also use backuppc, and I store all of the backups
on a USB drive that is permanently hooked to my server.

You mentioned that you'll also be using a USB drive.  Do you
want to leave it plugged in all of the time (but always ready
in the event of a fire / drug bust / whatever -- just grab it
and run out of the door)?  Or do you want to plug it in every
so often and manually run a backup program?

If it's a permanent setup, I would choose backuppc.
If it's plug-n-backup, I would choose rsback.

Alan