[TriLUG] Wireless security connundrum

Andrew Hunt andy at pragmaticbookshelf.com
Wed May 24 14:32:18 EDT 2006

Hi all.

I've got a wee problem I'm hoping ya'll can shed some light on, or at
least point me in the right direction.

I've got two wireless access points:

1) An ancient Aironet 4800E base station
2) A new Linksys one

I would like to tighten up security and allow only designated MAC
addresses access to the wireless, but I can't see how to do that on
the older Aironet.

It's a piece of cake on the new Linksys, but the Linksys has an
effective range of about six feet (no joke), and the older (and wide
open) Aironet comfortably blankets almost my entire 3 story house.

I'd rather not stick yet another piece of hardware in the mix (I'm
trying desperately to empty my full-size rack).

Any clever suggestions?

/\ndy