[TriLUG] OT: Router then Firewall

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed May 24 21:02:39 EDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not quite, top level domains are separated into country code tlds
> (ccTLDs) like us. ca. to. etc, and generic top level domains (e.g.
> com. edu. net. etc).

Yep, you're  right.  I completely blanked on the country domains.
Here's an interesting question, though.  How many generic
top level domains are there?  There were originally six, I believe.
What were they and what are the ones that have been added in
the last few years?

> I think that this may be a problem with my being unclear.  Let me pick
> things apart a tad.
>
> Let's say "Alma Mater University" wants to have a subdomain like
> physics.almamater.edu,  it can certainly have a name server which
> serves up that dns name space, BUT, the question then becomes, how
> does an outsider know about THAT name server,  presumably the name
> server for almamater.edu forwards to it, but that name server needs to
> be known to the internet hoi polloi and needs to be listed in the
> registry database for edu.  I don't see how someone walking  the dns
> tree from root will ever get to physics.almater.edu without going
> through amater.edu to get there.  Once any cached records expire they
> are going to have to climb down (or is it up? <G>) the tree.
>
> Yes you can move subdomain nameservers by just talking to the
> containing domain's nameserver operator, and that might well be
> yourself, but you can't move the nameserver which represents your
> second level domain without changing an entry which isn't under your
> direct control.
>
> So moving that nameserver requires communication with the registry
> operator via the registrar.

Ah, I believe I see the confusion here.  Yes, you are entirely correct
that if you want to remove that nameserver from the dns chain that is
walked to get the hostname you do have to communicate with
your registrar.  However, that's not what I was saying.  I was saying
that you could set up that nameserver to delegate to another
nameserver.  That is, instead of containing an SOA (Start
Of Authority) record, which indicates that a nameserver is
"authoritative" for that domain, it could instead return *only*
an NS record for a nameserver which would be authoritative
for the domainand an A record for the referenced NS record
(the A record is commonly called a "glue" record).  So the chain
to be walked would look like this (for, say, dargo.trilug.org):

"." -> org -> trilug(non-authoritative) -> trilug(authoritative)

The nameserver in this chain that I call "trilug(non-authoritative)"
is the one listed with the registrar and will show up on a
whois query.  However, that nameserver doesn't
claim to be authoritative for trilug.org (i.e. it doesn't return
an SOA record) but rather returns a different NS (nameserver)
record which when queried does answer authoritatively.

However, this probably isn't what Aaron was referring to.
My guess is he was probably referring to a lame delegation.
This is where you return a hostname as an NS record for
a domain, but that host isn't set up to answer authoritatively
for the domain.  I probably ought to go back and re-read his
original question, though, since we've come a long way since
then. :-)

Cheers,
Tanner
--