[TriLUG] Problem with Debian Etch

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at gmail.com
Sun May 28 12:53:30 EDT 2006

On 5/27/06, Nick <trilug at dogstar1.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone, I have been having a problem with Etch and was wondering
> if anyone else has run into this issue?
>
> After updating the initial install, the boot process hangs at "Begin:
> waiting for root file system"
>
> I have repeated the install twice with the same results. Upon searching
> for answers the only thing I found is the following:
>
>         I edited the file "/etc/kernel-img.conf" to add the line:
>         ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
>         And then regenerated the initrd image.
>         dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-8-smp
>         And I could boot. It seems this is an error while creating
>         the initrd image.
>
> As this situation stretches my limited abilities I tried following these
> directions (dubious as they look to me) by using Knoppix but I was
> unsuccessful.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

Does your computer have SATA?  I ran into similar problems at work
with a machine.  The problem was that under sarge's kernel the SATA
drive showed up as regular IDE (hda). With the newer kernel in etch,
SATA shows up as a scsi device (sda).  To boot, I had to update the
fstab and grub.conf by hand.

Cheers,
~Steven