[TriLUG] How many character are allowed on the command line?

Ralph Blach rcblach at blach.dnsalias.org
Mon May 29 09:55:12 EDT 2006

I am taking a class in computer science and the professor seems to
indicate the the maximum number of character one can enter from the
command line is 256 in both Windows command prompt  and the "IX's"
command prompt.

 From long ago, I seem to remember that this was  256 characters was a
limitation of the DOS command prompt in Windows at one time,
but never in  the "IX's" such as AIX, Linux, Solaris, .... .

Could the knowledgeable Trilug community comment on this?

Thanks

Chip