[TriLUG] Some basic * questions

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:06:28 EDT 2006

I think ssh will give you trouble; I wouldn't try tunneling that way.
Other people can answer better when it comes to securing your calls.

Some stuff I _can_ respond to:

> 2 - Server.

My asterisk box sports an AMD k6 300 and 384MB of RAM. It's just me,
mind you, but it works wonderfully.

> 3 - Client-side.  What's the best PC-based client-side software to use
> to interface with the IP side of Asterisk?  Must work in Windows and be
> VERY easy to configure.

Try Gizmo (SIP client)

> 4 - Bandwidth.

Is there a router involved on the employee end that handles QoS
properly (eg. a WRT54G)? If so, don't worry about what the user is
doing too much.  If not, ask others how you might implement it. At the
'rents we have a WRT54GL, and I've had multiple bittorrents going
while on a call.

HTH,
CMP

--

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

< crimsun> the running joke among the Ubuntu archive staff is that we
should name the hosts after Aztec deities for great
can't-remember-how-to-spell-or-pronounce justice
< crimsun> ssh xuihtecuhtli