[TriLUG] Problem with LVM

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jun 3 22:28:44 EDT 2006

On Saturday 03 June 2006 09:14 pm, Brian McCullough wrote:

> Finally, what he did, and you didn't show, was create a Logical Volume,
> the equivalent of the old fdisk partition ( what we used to use to make
> a space for a file system ), which he sized appropriately and then
> formatted as he wished ( ext2 or ext3 or reiser or ... ).  That can then
> be mounted and used as you wish.

One other question.

Last time, I created /dev/md0 on /dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1.  I also created an
LVM Physical Volume on /dev/md0, and a Volume Group on /dev/md0.  I was
planning on starting over from scratch to make sure everything is done
correctly.

Do I need to do anything special to get mdadm and LVM to forget about the
previous configuration?  I figured that I'd remove /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf.  I
also see, for example, /etc/lvm/backup/localvg.  If I plan to call the volume
group localvg, do I need to remove this file?  Or should I be running some
sort of LVM command to make it forget about the previous physical and logical
volumes?

---Tom