[TriLUG] Re: Debian won't boot after dist-upgrade; udev problems?

Mike Fieschko mike.fieschko at devmike.com
Mon Jun 5 16:57:08 EDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:53:20 -0400
"T. Bryan" <tbryan at python.net> wrote:

> So, I've been holding a sever back until I figured out my RAID/LVM
> problems. I was thinking that I was getting close to fixing that, so
> I did a an upgrade (on testing) last night.
>
> Now, when my system boots, I get
> /dev/hda2 does not exist!  Dropping to a shell!
>
> Looking online, it looked like the culprit was probably udev being
> held back for some reason.  So, I booted with Knoppix, and after
> tinkering with chroot, I had a successful apt-get install udev:
> mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
> mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda2/boot
> chroot /mnt/hda2
> apt-get install udev
>
> I thought that the udev install would modify my initrd-img in some
> way. Checking the timestamp, that did not seem to be the case.
> Rebooted.  Same problem.
>
> I tried a dist-upgrade (again, from the chrooted environment in
> Knoppix) because I figured that I might now have some skewed library
> vs. package versions and that it would be safer just to get
> everything upgraded.  I don't mind fixing broken things later since
> it's not my primary machine anyway.  :)
>
> I'm still seeing the same error and being dropped inot a BusyBox
> shell on boot.  Did anyone else see a similar type of error recently
> with Debian testing?  Or does Debian just hate me?

See bug #361741 - Fail to mount root filesystem:

The last message on the page may help.

I haven't upgraded udev here, despite the last message closing the bug.
apt-listbugs retrieved information on bug #361741.  It's a helpful
addition on my etch desktop.

--
Mike Fieschko
Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.A.