[TriLUG] Tip: Breakage of X caused by aptitude updates

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 13:38:45 EDT 2006

Just for clarity/posterity: remind us what OS you're running that gave
you this problem? Debian Etch? Sid?

On 6/9/06, Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm the last one in line to encounter this problem and an apparent
> working solution, but I thought I'd post this for posterity (and give
> smarter, wiser folks the opportunity to say "YOU MORON!  What were you
> thinking?!")
>
> So.  Latest wave of updates to x11, particularly xorg, come with a
> warning saying something along the lines of "Some users have reported
> this breaks X completely!"  Well, now I'm one of the affected.  I found
> that issuing the following dpkg command will get the chink out of the
> way that keeps all of the rest of X from updating / installing correctly:
>
> % dpkg --install --force-configure-any --force-overwrite
> /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common-_version-stuff-just-use-tab-complete_.deb
>
> Seemingly, without the force-configure-any, x11-common dies, complaining
> that /usr/include/X11 is missing, and without --force-overwrite (in my
> case at least) complains about overwriting a
> /usr/X11/bin/somethingorother that's also part of Motif.
>
> With x11-common taken care of, all the other myriad x11 / xorg packages
> click into place via pressing "g" in aptitude.
>
> Hope this helps somebody, or helps me if it happens again!  ha.
>
> Cheers,
> ~Brian

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
TriLUG Vice Chair
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences