[TriLUG] external hdtv

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 16:35:16 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Stan Briggs <stan at stanbriggs.com> wrote:
> michael,
>
> my experience is tainted, admittedly, but i would like to help set your
> expectations.
>
> i used a (mediocre) external antennae that i routed with coax to the top of
> my house (literally to the peak, outside). (my hdtv has a coax connection
> for antennae hd signals.) during the daylight hours my reception was
> basically non-existent. during the evenings i got some great signal. (this
> is how i watched the ncaa men's basketball championship.)
>
> you can expect better results if you use a better antennae, i'm sure. best
> of luck to you.

Unfortunately, digital TV reception can be very hit or miss.  Where I
am up in Wake Forest, I can often get the WUNC digital channels, but
almost never get any of the others.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is multi-path distortion since if I
view the corresponding analog channels, all but UNC exhibit ghosting.
Because of the standards chosen for terrestrial digital television in
the US, multipath kills reception.

I've thought about a rotator and a directional antenna, or some more
clever antenna farm, but so far I'm relying on DirectTV.  I can get
the NBC and ABC HD feeds from New York that way but WRAL refuses to
let them give access to the national CBS feed to subscribers here.

--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/