[TriLUG] OT: String.h in g++ around Redhat 5.0

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jun 16 12:51:04 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:27 -0400, Guthrie, Joshua L CIV NAVAIRDEPOT
wrote:
> Looks like my best bet is to rewrite the program to not use the 'string'
> data type.  Oh well.

Hi Joshua,

Yes, C++ compiler incompatibilities can be a huge pain.  These sorts of
problems crop up for many people.

If your code is relatively simple, then it seems possible (likely?) that
you could compile it as a *statically*-linked executable on a slightly
newer RH version (say, for instance, RH 6.x) and then run a copy of the
binary on the older RH 5.0 machine.  Have you tried that approach?  It
may be a lot less work and pain than re-writing the application for the
now-ancient compiler shipped with 5.0.

The items to pay attention to are the libraries used, the way they are
linked, the glibc version, and the compiler version.  And you can test
some of these combinations in chroot-ed environments to see if they'll
work:

  http://www.tldp.net/HOWTO/text/Multi-Distro-Dev

If you'd like more specifics, contact me off-list...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464