[TriLUG] Fried iPod

Randy Barlow randall_barlow at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 23 09:21:41 EDT 2006

So I was playing with Banshee last night to see how well it worked with
my video iPod, and everything was going well until I "Ejected" my iPod.
Banshee gave me an error (can't remember what it was honestly) and then
my iPod just continually reboots but never comes back on (I put it into
disk mode to stop it from doing this though...)

So I think it somehow damaged the iPod's file system (was formatted
FAT32 by a Windowz machine).  But now I've got some options, and wanted
to get advice.  Since I have this fried iPod, I have the option of
restoring it with either the Windows FAT32 file system or the Apple (HFS
Plus).  The FAT32 file system seemed to have some problems with some of
the large files I was trying to store on my iPod, and I was wondering if
I would do better with the HFS Plus FS in Linux (as in, does the Linux
kernel read it with a built in module, or do I need to go a googling?)

I had also considered putting Linux on the iPod, but that project
doesn't seem to support this generation of iPod yet...  Suggestions?