[TriLUG] At least Price seems to get it.

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 09:56:39 EDT 2006

One piece of this concerns me.  At the end, he addresses his concerns for
the businesses involved, such as content providers, but fails to mention
what effect it might have on non-profits, for example, such as the EFF,
ACLU, consumer advocacy groups, MADD, Habitat for Humanity, etc.  Will they
need to pay for preferential treatment as well?  What happens when Google
and/or Yahoo! start paying enough that all of the other traffic can be
crowded out, or simply ignored because of the provider's need to "serve
their customer's interests"?  How does that affect the poor and
disadvantaged in their access of the Internet through services such as the
public libraries and Internet cafes?  Frankly, I can't see how it doesn't
hurt them.  Can a cable or DSL provider prevent you from downloading Opera
or slow your access to the Firefox site because Microsoft paid them more to
give preferential treatment to IE downloads?  Can Apple pay to steer you
away from alternative online music stores?  And can Time Warner give
pathetically slow access to their competitors sites over their lines because
they didn't pay for that bandwidth?

Frankly, this is very much posed as a business thing, but the only ones hurt
here are small businesses and consumers.  The advantage of net neutrality
has been seen in the ability of Firefox and Thunderbird to thrive as they
have, and in the ability of the less fortunate to have access to the same
advantages that each of us share in terms of information access on topics of
law, medicine, employment, and education.  That this issue is even on the
table in Congress is yet more proof that our government is becoming an ever
more useful marketing tool for business, and that the good of the people has
been relegated to at best a second tier concern.

So seriously, post his crap on your blogs, mailing lists, and send it to
your friends and families.  It may seem like a 'thoughtful' reply, but
frankly, as someone with quite a bit of experience in the political arena
working on campaigns and doing policy analysis, this response is basically
just a hedge.  It's not a position.

Suddenly pissed at our political system again,
Ben Pitzer