[TriLUG] Best SIP Phone

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 09:19:12 EDT 2006

I'll give a thumbs up to the Polycom Soundpoint 501

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Polycom+Soundpoint+IP+501

Based on my own experience with it. I think the handset leaves
something to be desired (handset chord doesn't snap tightly enough
into handset), but the speakerphone more than makes up for that and
the 501 works wonderfully with a headset I have.

The 501 series has already been endorsed before on our list:

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20060529/042577.html

(see response to question 3)

And also here:

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20060410/041612.html

People who use Cisco tend tout Cisco phones, so you might like a Cisco
more. Polycom has Cisco beat on price, though. On the other end,
people who've used Grandstream phones tend to tout _only_ the price.

Good luck shopping.

On 6/28/06, Chander Ganesan <chander at otg-nc.com> wrote:
> We're looking at going with Asterisk here in the office - any
> recommendations as far as a SIP phones to go with?  What's likely to
> give us the least trouble and best performance (tempered by price, of
> course)?
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Chander Ganesan
> Open Technology Group, Inc.
> One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
> Morrisville, NC  27560
> Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student
TriLUG Vice Chair
cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
cmpalmer at ils.unc.edu
ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
"Television-free since 2003"

<tarheelcoxn> iank has trouble with English. his native language is Python
<iank> Yeah
<iank>   I'm forced
<iank>     To indent
<iank>   My sentences