[TriLUG] netcat - must be doing something stupid

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 13:17:04 EDT 2006

Machine A: dead PC running Knoppix, all drives are mounted and can be
"ls"ed, "df"'ed, etc
Machine B: OS X were I'd like to move data from Machine A

Machine B (destination): nc -l -p 4444 | tar x

Machine A (source): tar cf - * | netcat 192.168.x.x 4444  (where x.x is of
course machine A)

This does not work.  No data traverses the network.  I've tried many
different port numbers.  I'm off to bury myself in the man pages again.  The
directory on Machine B, where I want to transfer the data, is writeable and
verified with 'touch test.file'.

I'm looking at this command and obviously missing something that should be
jumping right out at me.  Any ideas what it is?  I'm off to read the man
pages again.

Greg