[TriLUG] RHEL on a Dell Inspiron 8500

Mike Seda maseda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 10:44:44 EDT 2006

Hi Eric,
I run CentOS 4 (a RHEL 4 derivative) on my Inspiron 8600 (essentially an
Inspiron 8500 with a Pentium M instead of a Pentium 4). Both Inspirons have
the Broadcom 4400 10/100 NIC (driver included in the stock kernel). There
were a few different mini-pci wireless cards that shipped with both
Inspirons. Initially, I had a Dell Truemobile <somenumber> mini-pci. At the
time, the ndiswrapper/linuxant driver was the only way to get it to work. I
soon abondoned that Dell card for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG. You
shouldn't have much trouble getting that to work. If I had a chance to do it
again, I would get a card with an Atheros chipset (supported by the madwifi
driver). If you have a Dell card and just want to make it work see the
following link:
http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Best,
Mike