[TriLUG] Latest FC4 updates caused weird X config problems

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sun Jul 9 00:04:17 EDT 2006

Dangit!!  Sent this from the wrong account.. that's why it didn't show on
the list (what happened to the purgatory alert?  I used to get a message
saying "you're not a list member, so a SC member must approve your
message")..  Anyway, what I meant to say was:

Hi folks,
  Quick summary because I'm already running late to something:

Dual-head setup, KDE, FC4, Xorg.  800x600 CRT to the left, 1280x1024 LCD to
the right.  nVidia drivers.  Was working fine.

Until today.  nVidia driver won't compile against the latest updated kernel,
but I suspect missing kernel source.  That's fine.  I can boot the previous
kernel with no errors.

Here's the thing:  The graphical login is correct.  CRT at 800x600, LCD at
1280x1024.  But AFTER I log in, the LCD switches to 800x600 and will not
Ctrl+Alt+Minus to any higher resolutions (it will Ctrl+Alt+Plus to 640x480).

What the heck?  Obviously the update clobbered a per-user config file
somewhere, but I don't know where to look.

Also, kicker is broken; my taskbar doesn't show up.

All input is always greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
~Brian