[TriLUG] Can't print to locally-connected HP LJet 1160

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jul 10 10:08:59 EDT 2006

Howdy Gang,
   I'm just full of problems these days, it seems.  Here's the latest one.

I have an HP LaserJet 1160 (several, actually).  I can print to any of
them that are attached to our network.  However, with one locally
connected via USB, I can't get it to do anything.  Print jobs just sit
in the queue; lpq says "Ready and printing" but nothing happens.  The
USB core seems to recognize that the printer is there; it shows in the
connection selection in the printer manager, and here is the output of
lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:008c Microsoft Corp. Wireless Intellimouse
Explorer 2.0
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:1e17 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

So there it is, bus 001, device 004.  And my mouse is working, so it's
not a general USB failure.  Also, I used to have a USB-connected Lexmark
inkjet printer that, while it would have fits if it were actually
hot-plugged, did print under most circumstances.  So USB printing in
general should have been working...although, come to think of it, I
hadn't tried it at all since my latest reload with Etch.

I'm not really sure where to go from here.  I should also mention that
hotplug doesn't seem to be quite fully working either, after I rebuilt
my kernel (although I tried to use exactly the same config as what was
already running, by copying the config from /boot into the kernel source
tree and running make oldconfig) -- my network interfaces aren't getting
configured at boot like they used to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton,
~Brian