[TriLUG] need a small linux laptop or handheld - reccomendations?

John McHugh johnjmchugh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 12:59:29 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 11:52 -0400, Greg Brown wrote:
> I need something small to surf for non-work related stuff while on lunch
> break, etc.  "The Company" is cracking down hard on Internet use for some
> reason even getting uptight about employees going to eBay or Amazon.  I'm
> not sure why this is, perhaps an audit.  Anyway, I'm surrounded by public
> APs so connectivity isn't a problem.
>
> Small, light and Linux is what I'm looking for.  And inexpensive.  Having
> Firefox would be ideal.

Have you considered a Nokia 770?  It may be a little underpowered for
what you want, but it's definitely "Small, light and Linux".  I think
they can be found for ~$300, not cheap, but cheaper than a laptop.

A 1GB RS-MMC can be found for ~$50-60 and some people are working on
hacks for the 2GB card.

John