[TriLUG] Firewalls

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Jul 10 18:04:20 EDT 2006

i had the unfortunately displeasure to deal with a late-model sonicwall.
what an incredible piece of shit.  the web interface was slow beyond slow,
it would have to speed up in order to stop.  hugely unintuitive, cumbersome,
i could never be sure if the rules i was setting up were even going to work.
  a task that would have taken me half an hour with openbsd/pf instead took
nearly five hours.

"fourth generation" is pure marketing bull.  if you want a firewall, build a
good firewall - there are lots of options.  if you want content filtering,
install a proxy server.  if you want antivirus/antispam, do it on your mail
server (or a gateway).  putting all of your eggs in sonicwall's basket is
most certainly not how i'd set things up.

but that's all irrelevant.  if your boss or decision maker is going to be
impressed by a slick-talking salesman (or even a techie who couldn't build a
firewall from scratch if their life depended on it) over the recommendation
of his own sysadmin, then you're probably screwed no matter what i or anyone
else on this list is likely to say.

nevertheless, best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

jason