[TriLUG] machine comparing... possibly OT

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jul 12 17:45:35 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, David McDowell wrote:

> year, I want to be able to do this.  I want to take a snapshot of the
> machine PRIOR to entering in the license key, then I want a snapshot
> of the machine AFTER entering the license key.

can you mount the disk (ro) on a Linux machine and do a
tripwire (I use viperdb for that function) or do a recursive
`ls -alF` and store all the directories. Or make a dd copy
of the before and after and do a compare of the two disks
after mounting them?

My experience with these keys are that they're machine
specific (sometimes it's the MAC address of the ethernet
card). You may not be able to move the install from one
machine to another even if you know the file. Hell I can't
install Windows on one machine and move the disk to another
without getting "NTLDR not found".

Joe