[TriLUG] Xen networking

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Jul 19 12:13:27 EDT 2006

OK, I have got to the point where I seem to be able to create and run
domU children in my Xen machine.  ( By the way, when I run Xentop, it
says that all of the domUs are "blocked" -- is this normal, or should
they be running? )

However, I am confused by the networking.  The dom0 comes up with
several ( quite a few ) items in ifconfig, and eth0 is shown with the
"old" IP address. ( Incidentally, "network-bridge" and "vif-bridge" and
other configuration is left to default settings. )

No other device except lo has an IP address -- is this correct?

Inside the domU, only eth0 and lo show, and both have "real" IP
addresses.

I can ping and traceroute out and into the domU.

I can SSH out and into the domU.

I can not get into the domU with any of ports 53, 80 and 443, although I
can get out with any of them.

I have tried setting and clearning iptables configurations in both the
dom0 and domU, with no change in behaviour.

Suggestions -- even places to look?  I have been looking at the Xen
documentation and Wiki, and seem to have configured everything the way
that the documentation says to, but don't seem to be getting it, yet.

Thanks,
Brian