[TriLUG] HTTP proxy server recommendations

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 20:05:52 EDT 2006

On 7/20/06, Tarus Balog <tarus at opennms.org> wrote:

> Okay. I am the first to admit I am a little slow.
>
> OpenNMS runs on port 8080 (tomcat) and when I ssh into a client's site
> where port 22 is the only port open, I do
>
> ssh -L 8080:localhost:8080 [remote server]
>
> and then I point my browser to http://localhost:8080/opennms and it
> works like a champ.
>
> How would I use port forwarding to act like a proxy?

Actually, probably your best bet is to have ssh act as
an application proxy.  Ssh will act as both a SOCKS4
and SOCKS5 proxy by use of the -D option.  So, if you do

ssh -D 8888 [remote server]

that will cause port 8888 on your local machine to create
a SOCKS proxy that you can forward stuff through.  It will
route it through to the remote server and all connections will
appear to come from there.  Then within your web browser,
say if you're using Firefox, go to connection settings and select
manual proxy configuration and enter localhost for the SOCKS
proxy and 8888 (you can pick any port you can use) for the
proxy port.  I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm
wrong, that if you also select SOCKS5, it will proxy your
DNS requests too.  That should do what you want.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace